Traction #011: How to Create More Content in Less Time
August 16, 2023
Read time: 4 minutes.
Today is part 2 of Content Marketing 101.
We're continuing our series today, but a bit later than I planned. Here's why.
Have you ever been so overwhelmed with a project that at the end of the project you felt wiped out? That was me last week. So I took some time to rest, relax, and reset everything in my work schedule.
Pro Tip: Managing your energy as a business owner is critical to business success. Health success. Relationship success. There's nothing wrong with taking a break. It's a great mental health strategy. So if you feel wiped out, take a break. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.
Now let's dive in to Content Marketing 101 - part 2. You can read part 1 here.
What to Know
To make the most of the content you produce, repurpose it.
Repurposing content is a smart way to extend the reach and lifespan of what you create, and it saves you a ton of time and money along the way.
What to Do
Choose an existing piece of content, take it apart, and put it back together in a different format.
Here are 7 examples to get your wheels turning:
- Post each chapter of an ebook as a separate blog post, or combine several related blog posts into a new, high-value ebook.
- Turn blog posts into emails or videos or both (or vice versa). You could combine a few blog posts to create a video course as well. I'm doing that right now with some of my Traction newsletter articles. I created the Website Mini-Masterclass, four videos to help you make tangible changes to your website to get more sales. I'm planning to take a few Traction newsletter articles and create more mini-masterclasses (e.g. Email Marketing, Social Media).
- Develop a webinar using content you’ve already created. It's easy to do this. I use LeadPages.net to create my webinars and from that I can easily create social media posts. My next webinar is called: Small Business Marketing Masterclass, a one-hour online workshop designed to help you clarify your marketing message, connect to more customers, and grow your company.
- Use long-form content as inspiration for a series of social media posts. It's easy to do this if you've created an ebook. In 2023, you'll hear more about a new ebook I've been writing called Social Media Blueprint: An 8-Step Plan to Get Unstuck and Start Using Social Media to Grow Your Small Business. My first ebook gave me plenty of content to use so I expect the same from this new one.
- Create an infographic from research you’ve done. Canva.com has plenty of templates for this.
- Look at your older content to see if it can be updated or refreshed to make it more relevant or useful. You may be able to add or update statistics or incorporate new trends or best practices.
- Share screenshots of customer testimonials as social media graphics. This can be done and easily shared on your Facebook and Instagram stories.
That's it for this week. Try one or more of these strategies to repurpose some of your content today. It's one of the best strategies I can share to help you create more content in less time.
Master Your Marketing
Accelerate your sales with better marketing.
Master Your Marketing is an interactive, online course that helps you create a 4-part marketing plan - so you make money instead of wasting it.
- Learn how to talk about your offer so your ideal customers pay attention.
- Find out why your website isn’t working—and how to finally fix it.
- Know how to establish yourself as the go-to expert in your industry.
- Discover the secret to turning prospects into paying customers.
(It’s not TikTok.)
Ready to get a marketing plan that helps grow your business? I'd love it if you join me for the next Master Your Marketing online course. If you want to develop a marketing plan that works finally, this course is for you! I teach every session live so you'll get feedback as you develop your marketing plan.
"This course transformed my business. I feel confident I'm going to crush the competition." - Nicole E.
I hope to see you in the October class! Space is limited.
Coming Up Next
August 22: Using a content calendar to stay consistent.
In this with you!
Dr. James Barnes, PhD
Associate Extension Professor & StoryBrand Certified Marketing Guide
Mississippi State University
For many business owners, marketing feels like flushing money down the drain. At Brick-to-Clicks, we provide free and low-cost marketing resources that help business owners grow their audience and sales.