Traction #007: How to Write Emails that Get Read
June 14, 2023
Let's go ahead and get to it.
What to Know
On average, people receive more than 100 emails a day.
And that’s just work emails! That means you have some fierce inbox competition, and if you want people to read your emails, they have to stand out as being… worth reading.
In general, emails are “worth reading” if they provide one or more of the following:
- Help. They help readers solve a problem (or a piece of one).
- Value. They save readers time or money.
- Entertainment or Inspiration. They're compelling, funny, and/or share good news.
What to Do
Outline your next five emails.
Whether you email your list monthly, weekly, or more often, write up a plan for your next five emails.
Feeling stuck? Try this:
- Email 1: Brainstorm a list of common problems your customers experience (as it relates to what you sell). Choose one of those problems, and write an email with a simple bullet-point plan to help them solve it. (Help)
- Email 2: Share a short testimonial or two from customers you’ve helped recently, and remind readers how you can help them, too. (Entertainment/Inspiration)
- Email 3: Think about your ideal customer and their to-do list. Now, suggest one quick thing they can do this week—related to what you offer— to help them shave time off one of their tasks. (Value)
- Email 4: Write about the “why” behind your business. Don’t be afraid to share your personal story! Remember: People do business with brands they know, like, and trust. (Entertainment/Inspiration)
- Email 5: Offer a limited-time coupon for a product you sell or a small bonus for a service you offer. (Value)
You've got this! See you next time.
Master Your Marketing
Marketing your business shouldn't be a mystery.
Master Your Marketing is an interactive, online course that takes the mystery of out marketing—so you can make money instead of wasting it.
- Learn how to talk about your offer so your ideal customers pay attention.
- Find out why your website isn’t working—and how to finally fix it.
- Know how to establish yourself as the go-to expert in your industry.
- Discover the secret to turning prospects into paying customers.
(It’s not TikTok.)
Ready to get a marketing plan that helps grow your business? I'd love you to join me for the next Master Your Marketing online course. If you want to develop a marketing plan that works finally, this course is for you!
I hope to see you in the class!
Coming Up Next
June 27: 7 quick tips for better email subject lines
July 11: How often should you email your list?
July 25: Content Marketing 101
P.S. Marketing your business can feel overwhelming. I get it. Feel free to schedule a call with me, and we can work on your marketing together, one step at a time.
P.P.S. I'm preparing future Traction newsletters and would love your feedback. You can click here and let me know the topics you'd like to learn more about.
In this with you!
Dr. James Barnes, PhD
Associate Extension Professor & StoryBrand Certified Marketing Guide
Mississippi State University
For many business owners, marketing feels like flushing money down the drain. At Brick-to-Clicks, we provide free and low-cost marketing resources that help business owners grow their audience and sales.