Traction #008: 7 Quick Tips for Better Email Subject Lines
June 26, 2023
Today is part 4 of Email Marketing Secrets. See the previous editions in this series.
Let's go ahead and get to it.
What to Know
Subject lines can make or break your email marketing strategy.
The job of an email subject line is simple but not easy: Convince readers that they should open your message.
After all, it doesn’t matter how helpful, valuable, or entertaining your emails are if people don’t open them!
Admittedly, writing compelling email subject lines is part art and part science. You’ll want to monitor your open rates to see what works best for your industry and audience. You can also do A/B testing in real-time to see what approaches resonate more. Check the help documentation for your email service provider to see if it offers A/B testing.
What to Do
Keep a list of subject lines that got your attention, and use it to inspire your writing.
In the meantime, try these tips:
- Limit your subject lines to no more than 50 characters.
- Use the recipients’ first name in the subject line. (Don’t go overboard with this one.)
- Stay away from language that may trigger spam filters.
- Avoid all caps and multiple exclamation points.
- Use numbers. (Like this email’s subject line!)
- Pose a question related to the content of the email.
- Include a call to action when appropriate: register, join, shop, and so on.
Pro-tip: Personalize your sender address. People are much more likely to open an email from “Sam at ABC Company” than they are from “ABC Company” on their own.
If you implement all of the email marketing secrets I've shared, you're well on your way to building relationships with your subscribers - and that's good for your business.
That's all for today. You've got this!
I'll be back with more free marketing tips on July 11th.
Master Your Marketing
Marketing your business shouldn't be a mystery.
Master Your Marketing is an interactive, online course that takes the mystery of out marketing—so you can make money instead of wasting it.
- Learn how to talk about your offer so your ideal customers pay attention.
- Find out why your website isn’t working—and how to finally fix it.
- Know how to establish yourself as the go-to expert in your industry.
- Discover the secret to turning prospects into paying customers.
(It’s not TikTok.)
Ready to get a marketing plan that helps grow your business? I'd love you to join me for the next Master Your Marketing online course. If you want to develop a marketing plan that works finally, this course is for you! You can enroll here if you like.
I hope to see you in the September class!
Coming Up Next
July 11: Email Marketing Secrets: How often should you email your list?
July 25: Content Marketing 101: How to get more eyeballs on your marketing
August 8: Content Marketing 101: How to create more content in less time
In this with you!
Dr. James Barnes, PhD
Associate Extension Professor & StoryBrand Certified Marketing Guide
Mississippi State University
For many business owners, marketing feels like flushing money down the drain. At Brick-to-Clicks, we provide free and low-cost marketing resources that help business owners grow their audience and sales.