Traction #005: Why You Should Grow Your Email List
May 30, 2023
When it comes to marketing, very few strategies are sure things. Email marketing comes pretty close.
That’s why today we’re starting a five-part series to help you leverage the power of email to grow your business.
What to Know
Despite what some people think, email is not dead.
Regardless of social media’s popularity, most people still prefer to hear from businesses via email. In fact, research shows email marketing has an average return on investment of $42 for every $1 spent. (To be clear, that’s good. Really good.)
Of course, that statistic assumes you have a list of people to email. And if you’re like many business owners, you simply don’t. So let’s fix that!
What to Do
Give people a good reason to join your list.
Many businesses invite people to join their “newsletter list.” But customers aren’t looking for newsletters. They’re looking for answers to their questions, solutions to their problems, and/or coupons and discounts.
So do this:
- Put together something of value—a free resource (like a helpful PDF) or a special offer (like a coupon). Going forward, we’ll call this your “lead generator.”
- Create a pop-up on your website and/or a simple landing page that invites people to access your lead generator in exchange for their email address.
- Post about your lead generator on social media and point people to your website to sign up.
- If you’re a brick-and-mortar business, hang up a sign with a QR code that directs people to your lead generator landing page.
- Finally, write an email to deliver the lead generator and welcome people to your list. (We’ll talk more about that in the next edition of Traction.)
Master Your Marketing
You shouldn’t have to play marketing whack-a-mole to grow your business!
Master Your Marketing is an interactive, online course that takes the mystery of out marketing—so you can make money instead of wasting it.
- Learn how to talk about your offer so your ideal customers pay attention.
- Find out why your website isn’t working—and how to finally fix it.
- Know how to establish yourself as the go-to expert in your industry.
- Discover the secret to turning prospects into paying customers.
(It’s not TikTok.)
In this with you!
Dr. James Barnes, PhD
Associate Extension Professor & StoryBrand Certified Marketing Guide
Mississippi State University
For many business owners, marketing feels like flushing money down the drain. At Brick-to-Clicks, we provide free and low-cost marketing resources that help business owners grow their audience and sales.